“Fantasy” by Lu Monin was selected as “Honorable Mention” in our July Show. Here is our short intreview with the artist.
1. Luciana how did you start creating art?
I always painted or coloured with pencils and pastel since my teenagerhood. The decision of becoming an artist came a few years ago when I felt the need of fully expressing myself while working. Being an artist is not just a job; it is about “doing something with passion”!
2. Please tell us a bit about the artwork that was selected as the “Honorable Mention” (style, technique, your inspiration etc).
“Fantasy” (mixed media art, acrylic painting on canvas, 80x60cm) is the result of an intense desire of doing something with love, passion and freedom. No fixed rules at all !
3. What quarantine has meant to you? Was it difficult to work in isolation and what effect this unprecedented time had on your work and creativity?
I work as an art teacher and the isolation obliged me to close my art studio for 2 months – that was hard ! However, I was going to the studio every morning, own my own, and all that extra time, and forced lock down, encourage me to look for freedom through my art. To cut a long story short, it did me good!
4. What do you think about trends in contemporary art?
It makes part of the creative process. Despite the fact that we like it or not, we all affected by our day to day life, by society, by our environment… To me, it’s just a question of getting a good balance.
5. Please tell us a bit about your current work and some future projects.
After these two months of isolation, I decided to boost my career as an artist (not only as an art teacher). I am working with a professional art curator and I am currently preparing a new collection to be exhibited at MAG Montreux Art Gallery in November 2020. I will focus on my mixed media art portraits ; a mix of figurative and abstract painting. It’s so exciting that I can hardly think of something else !